Delicious and so easy to bake in small batches. Just keep the dough in the fridge or freezer and slice off and make as many cookies as you want at a time.
- 1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup(s) packed brown sugar, dark
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Add remaining ingredients and beat thoroughly.
- Scrape dough out of bowl and onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Roll dough into a log, about 2 1/2-inches wide; completely wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
- Cut dough into 1/8-inch-thick slices and arrange on several large ungreased cookies sheets about 1- to 1 1/2-inches apart. Bake until lightly browned around edges, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for about 1 minute and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.
- Add some spice to these cookies by sprinkling a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg into the batter.