A layer of crunchy breadcrumbs tops this vegetarian casserole. Rosemary and dry white wine add fabulous flavor.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 large uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup(s) white wine, dry
- 38 oz canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 30 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 5 oz fresh spinach, baby leaves
- 2 tsp rosemary, fresh, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup(s) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 10- X 6-inch glass casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until softened and onions begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook until evaporated. Add beans, tomatoes, spinach, rosemary, and lemon juice; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and spinach has wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon mixture into prepared dish; set aside.
- Microwave butter in a large microwave-safe bowl until melted. Add bread crumbs, cheese and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; stir until completely combined. Spoon crumb mixture over bean mixture; bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes. Yields 1/6th of casserole per serving.
- Make this vegan by swapping in your favorite vegan cheese and butter substitutes.You could also make this dish in individual ramekins for a pretty presentation and easy portion control.