Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings
- 4 tablespoons light butter
- 6 tablespoons chopped onion
- 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- Pumpkin pie spice, sprinkled to taste
- Optional topping: I tossed a few croutons on top of my soup just to give a little layering for the photos. The soup delicious with or without them! They are not included in the nutrition calculations at the bottom, but if you’d like to add them in you can just use the nutrition information on the package.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat and add the onions. Saute onions for a few minutes until tender. Add the squash, broth, marjoram, pepper and cayenne and stir together. Cover the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- When soup is done cooking, add the cream cheese and puree the soup completely, either by using an immersion blender directly in the pot or by pouring the soup in batches into a normal blender, until smooth. Sprinkle a bit of Pumpkin Pie Spice on each serving.
4 smartpoints per serving
4 pointsplus per serving
155 calories, 20 g carbs, 5 g sugars, 8 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 3 g protein, 3 g fiber